International Art Residency
14th November – 12th December 2011
Who Can Participate
Applications are open to all visual artists who have been professionally active for at least the past 3 years (your resume/CV should reflect professional activities since
2008 or earlier). We do not accept applications from currently enrolled
students: you must be out of school at the time of the application in order to be eligible.
Having studied art is NOT a requirement, we accept applications from self-taught professional artists with at least 3 years constant working experience. Applications are open to artists in Nigeria and from across Africa as well as other countries from South America, Asia and the Caribbean who have been professionally active for at least 3 years and with a visible commitment to their
professional artistic practice and media. Artists can be working in any media - painting, sculpture, textile, ceramics, photography, video and new media,
performance art, writing, theatre and dance.
This year we are also interested in inviting emerging curators who can benefit from the close interaction with artists as well as others who are interested in developing interdisciplinary methods of working. There is the possibility to use the residency as well as the themes and issues as the starting point to conceive of a final project (your CV should reflect professional curatorial and writing experiencesince 2010)
The workshop will be an intensive 30-day programme, from November 14th – 10th December 2011, facilitated by experienced local and international artists, critics, and
curators. orkshop sessions will commence daily at 9.00am and end at 6.00pm. Participants must be available for the full 30 days. Absence for more than 3 days will result in the loss of participation and non-refundable fee
How to Apply?
The application deadline is Monday, August 29th 2011
Selection Notification: Friday 9th September 2011
1. Please indicate your type of work with up to 3 definitionsof the following: PNT (painting); PHO (photography);SCL (sculpture); DRW (drawing); INS (installation); SS(site specific installation); VD (video); PRF (performance);MM (multi media); NM (new media); WEB (web based);INT (interactive). If your type of work is not on this list,please state it.
2. Current resume/CV: 3 pages maximum.
3. A short project proposal showing how your work relates to the theme of History/Matter of minimum 300 and maximum 500 words.
4. Documentation of your work. You can either submit images OR video documentation, NOT both. Please note that if you submit both, your application will be disqualified.
5. We review video documentation ONLY for artists whose work is time-based, interactive, web-based, kinetic, film,video and performance. If you work with installation,site-specific, painting, sculpture and/or drawing, you
MUST submit images.
6. IMAGES: Six (6) jpeg images, at 180 DPI resolution
minimum, maximum total file size 250kb. Images must be
titled with your last name, first name, number with no spacing:
e.g.: jonesmary1.jpg, jonesmary2.jpg.
7. IMPORTANT: we only accept jpegs. Do not submit:
Powerpoint presentations, PDF, TIFF, Gif or PSD files.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information or any inquiries, please contact email@example.com